- This event has passed.
Implementing Growing Success – What’s New, and What’s Changed Over the Last Five Years?
September 30, 2015 from 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm$95
The implementation of Growing Success (GS) in schools is an ongoing process. Since its introduction in 2010, a substantial amount of work has been done, both in public and private schools to gradually integrate GS fundamental principles into: the administration of schools; teaching practices; and, of course, the assessment and evaluation of students.
The concept of the teacher as a “facilitator” is crucial for GS implementation, but how can this be accomplished without reducing the teacher to a bystander or creating chaos in the classroom? As well, empowering teachers to make “professional judgment” is paramount to the successful implementation of GS, but what exactly is “professional judgment” and how can a teacher retain fair and transparent standards while exercising professional judgment? These and other crucial questions and conversations make Dr. Miller’s workshop a must-see.
In this workshop, Dr. Miller will:
- discuss the over-arching philosophy behind the GS policy document
- review the seven Fundamental Principles of GS and demonstrate how they are interconnected
- explain the formulation of Learning Goals and Success Criteria and their significance
- review an example of a lesson plan which incorporates all these requirements
- discuss the concept of Descriptive Feedback (the 6th fundamental principle) and show examples of good practice
- discuss the components of a good assessment plan, as per GS, and demonstrate its use
- explain the triangulation of marks (product, conversation and observation) and provide examples
- discuss and demonstrate the concept of an Independent Study Unit/Task and its connection to GS.
Target audience: New teachers and school principals not fully familiar with Growing Success.
Recent attendees of this workshop have had the following to say:
- You did an outstanding job. Funny, knowledgeable, engaging and such a pleasure to be around. I am absolutely thrilled with the work you have done. (School owner)
- I want to thank you again for your fabulous presentation to our staff. It was exactly what we needed to prepare for the coming year and of course our inspection. (School principal)
- …your presentation was very interesting, informative and useful. (School principal)
About the Speaker
Ronnie Miller, M.Ed.; Ph.D.
Dr. Miller received both his Master’s degree and Doctorate from the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education at the University of Toronto. Dr. Miller is an accomplished educator and administrator; having worked as a teacher, department-head, school principal, and university professor, and for the last 8 years acting as the Executive Director of PDS. He is also an executive member of the newly founded Independent and Private School Advisory Board (IPSAB). Through PDS and IPSAB, Dr. Miller assists schools all over the province, including the GTA, Eastern Ontario, and remote communities in the North.
Currently, Dr. Miller coordinates and facilitates seminars and workshops on a variety of educational topics in Ontario, British Columbia, and New York State.
If you would like to register for this seminar, please choose a payment method:
The fee, HST included, for this seminar is $107.35.
Credit Card / PayPal
Use the form below to submit payment using your credit card or PayPal account.
You do not need to register a PayPal account to use this service.
To pay by credit card directly, select “I don’t have a PayPal account”
The charge for each ticket to this seminar is 107.35, including HST.
Cheques should be made payable to Professional Development Seminars, Inc. and sent to our main office:
Professional Development Seminars
5353 Lakeshore Rd (Unit #36)
Burlington, ON L7L 1C8
Please include the following information for your registration to be processed correctly:
The name of the participants who will be attending
The name and address of the school or institution with which they are associated
The email address and telephone number(s) by which they may be reached for confirmation
PDS has a no refund policy. However, if a cancellation is made at least one week before the date of the event, the funds can be credited towards any future PDS event.
Venue and Date Information
To automatically add this seminar to your calendar software, click one of the buttons below: