- This event has passed.
Vancouver Summer Institute: Student Inquiry Across the Curriculum
August 20, 2015 from 9:00 am - August 21, 2015 from 2:00 pm$435
Registration for this event has closed, thank you for your interest.
Please see our NEW Summer Institute, Deep Learning by Design!
The new BC curriculum, with its increased focus on thinking competencies and big ideas, provides more space and opportunity for teachers to design learning around meaningful tasks, higher order thinking skills and student interests and passions. This practical, hands-on workshop will have two major themes:
- A facilitated exploration of the new BC curriculum, including the new critical and creative thinking competencies. Teachers will come away with a deep understanding of the goals and outcomes of the new curriculum.
- Strategies on how to design inquiry-based tasks. Using a number of real-classroom examples, we will explore various key elements necessary for inquiry:
- Creating the conditions and an environment that sparks inquiry
- Building and scaffolding the skills and habits of mind necessary for an inquiry mindset
- How technology and assessment are powerful building blocks for inquiry
Participants will come away from the day with many new ideas, strategies and resources to help increase student engagement, thinking and learning.
Presentation slides (PDF)
Diane Graves is the District Vice Principal of Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment with the Delta School District. Diane’s classroom and district work have all involved aspects of collaborative inquiry. In her current role, Diane facilitates school based teams to develop effective ways to weave formative and summative assessment approaches with a variety of instructional approaches using the emerging new BC curriculum.
Registration for this event has closed. There will be a supplemental Summer Institute seminar running alongside this one. For more information, click here.
Venue and Date Information
To automatically add this seminar to your calendar software, click one of the buttons below: